The Board of Library Commissioners is, by City Charter authority, the legal head of the Library Department. The five members of the Board are appointed by the Mayor for five-year staggered terms and confirmed by the City Council. In common with other city commissions, the Library Board has the power to make and enforce all necessary and desirable rules and regulations. The Charter gives the Library control of its own funds. It is also the duty of the Board to provide quarters and equipment, to design, construct, and maintain library buildings, to create necessary positions, and to authorize personnel and fix their duties.
In accordance with Charter Section 245, actions of the Board of Library Commissioners shall become final at the expiration of the next five (5) meeting days of the City Council during which the Council has convened in regular session.
The Chief Executive Officer, who is the City Librarian, is appointed by the Mayor, with Council confirmation.
The Los Angeles City Charter requires the Board to hold a regular meeting at least twice a month. All meetings must be in a municipal or other facility open to the public and with reasonable provision for attendance by the public. Library Commission Meetings are held every other Thursday at 11:00 a.m. at the Central Library, Board Room, Level 4, 630 West 5th Street, Los Angeles, CA 90071. From time-to-time, the Commission may hold meetings at branch libraries throughout the City.
The agenda for a regular meeting of the Board must be posted 72 hours prior to the meeting, as required by the Ralph M. Brown Act which governs public meetings.
Policies & Elections
Requests for Proposals & Requests for Qualifications
- Request for Proposals for Audiovisual Consultant | Informational Flyer
- Request for Proposals for Special Events Coordinator | Informational Flyer
- Request for Proposals for Exhibition Coordinator Services
- Request for Qualifications: Mental Health and/or Social Services
Documents Related to Board Discussions on Library Safety & Security
- Memorandum of Agreement between the Los Angeles Police Department and the Los Angeles Public Library - Expires December 31, 2020
- Library Department section of the Mayor’s Proposed FY2020-21 Budget
- Changes to the proposed budget - Adoption of Fiscal Year 2020-21 Budget from August 13, 2020 Board of Library Commission meeting
- Creating a Safe and Welcoming Library memo from August 13, 2020 Board of Library Commissioners meeting, includes Security Expenditures, Incident Reports, and Safety & Security Project information
- Camera and Badge Access at LAPL - August 3, 2020 memo from City Librarian to the Board of Library Commissioners
- Motion: Development of a Multi-Year Plan to Re-envision Safety at the Los Angeles Public Library from August 13, 2020 Board of Library Commissioners meeting
- Multi-Year Strategy for a Safe and Welcoming Library from November 12, 2020 Board of Library Commissioners meeting
Please address all communications to:
Board of Library Commissioners
630 West 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
For information concerning the Board of Library Commissioners, you may call the Commission Office at 213-228-7530 or 213-228-7531, or contact them by e-mail at email@example.com.