Welcome New Americans! As the second-largest city in the United States, Los Angeles is home to immigrants from more than 140 countries. We are working together with our community partners to bring important information to you about immigration and citizenship.
We value your privacy and your rights as a resident in Los Angeles. All information is confidential, and all services are free.
Want to make an appointment or have questions? Call us and leave a message in English, español (Spanish), 한국어 (Korean), 中文 (Chinese), or Persian/فارسی (Farsi) at 213-228-7390. A library staff member will return your call within 2 working days.
You can also use this link to make an appointment to go to a New Americans Center or to talk to a service provider on the telephone.
New Americans Centers are located at the following libraries: Central Library, Echo Park Branch Library, Junipero Serra Branch Library, Pacoima Branch Library, Pio Pico - Koreatown Branch Library, Wilmington Branch Library.
New Americans service appointments are either in-person at a New Americans Center or by telephone. Each appointment is 60 minutes. If your appointment is in person, you will go to your scheduled appointment at a New Americans Center. If your appointment is by telephone, a service provider will call you.
- Citizenship Application Assistance (N-400)
- Green Card Renewals (I-90)
- DACA Initial Application and Renewals (I-821D)
- General Consultation (any questions, any service)
- Family Reunification Consultation (Petition for Family Member/I-130)
- Questions about Permanent Residence/Green Card Application (Adjustment of status, I-485)
- Questions about Removing conditions on residency (I-751)
- Work Permit Renewal (EAD Form I-765)
- Apply for Travel Documents (I-131)
- Help with Freedom of Information Act Requests (FOIA Requests)
- Help with Temporary Protected Status (TPS)
- Special Visas for Crime Victims (T-Visa, U-Visa, VAWA)
By phone appointment only:
- Financial Coaching for Immigrants
- Small Business Consultation
- Transactional Legal Services for Small Business Owners
- Q&A for Afghan Arrivals in Persian (Farsi)
For 한국어 (Korean), 中文 (Chinese), Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese) and แบบไทย (Thai) language assistance, please contact our partner Asian Americans Advancing Justice Southern California at 888-349-9695.
Enroll in Online Citizenship Classes
- Learn English, civics, and history required to pass the test and become a United States citizen.
- All classes are taught in English, with language support in Spanish, Farsi, and Armenian.
- Classes are two hours long, once or twice a week for 10-12 weeks.
- Participants must be lawful permanent residents (*must have a Green Card).
- After signing up, participants will receive a registration form link and Zoom class information via email or text.
- Questions or problems in registering for an online citizenship class? Call us and leave a message in English, Spanish, Korean, or Chinese at 213-228-7390. A library staff member will return your call within 2 working days.
- If you qualify to take the citizenship exam in Spanish, you can register to attend online citizenship classes in Spanish.
USCIS materials in Korean, Chinese, Arabic, Tagalog, and Vietnamese can also be found on the USCIS website. Printed study materials from USCIS are only available in English and in Spanish.
We value your privacy and your rights as a resident in Los Angeles. All information is confidential, and services in the library are all free. Questions? Call us at 213-228-7390.