- Do an author search for works by a particular philosopher.
- Do a keyword search for works about a philosophy topic such as ‘philosophy Asian’ or ‘ethics’
- Do a keyword search and include 'dictionary' or 'companion' to 'philosophy' or the name of a particular philosopher or concept.
- Oxford Reference Online - Premium Collection 1* Under Subject Reference, select "Philosophy and Religion"
- General OneFile (Gale) 1* select Browse Subjects and search "Philosophy"
- Research Library (Proquest) 1* select Topics and search "Philosophy"
- Biography Resource Center (Gale) 1* select Biograhical Facts Search and for Occupation search "Philosophers"
- Select Philosophy & Religion and scroll down to "Philosophy"
- Select Philosophy Pages - the link includes a survey of the history of Western philosophy, a timeline, and biographical information
BOOKS and PERIODICALS are available in the SOCIAL SCIENCE, PHILOSOPHY, & RELIGION DEPARTMENT
INTRODUCTIONS AND SURVEYS
- Classics of Western Philosophy 108 C6145
Complete text of twenty masterpieces and selections from others with biographical information and commentary.
- Joad, C. E. M. Guide to Philosophy 100 J62
Discusses major philosophical theories in relation to basic questions, such as, ‘is there a plan for the universe?’
- Durant, Will The Story of Philosophy 109 D951
Classic history of western philosophy.
- Companion to World Philosophies 109 C7375
Introductory survey of major non-Western philosophies including Indian, Islamic, Buddhist, Polynesian, Chinese and Japanese.
- Smart, Ninian World Philosophies 109 S6365
Worldwide coverage of major philosophies throughout history -- arranged geographically.
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy (10v) 103 R9865
Covers philosophies and philosophers worldwide. Issues affecting philosophy, such as feminist theology, predestination, and theories of psychology are included.
- Concise Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy 103 C7445
One volume version of the 10-volume work above, available for circulation and in branches.
- World Philosophers and Their Works (3v) 109 W9274
Each entry begins with a biographical section followed by an overview of representative works. Annotated bibliographies are useful for finding additional books in the online catalog.
- Encyclopedia of Applied Ethics (4v) 171.03E565-1
Includes articles on abortion, Aristotelian ethics, divorce, social security, stoicism and nonviolence in film and television.
- Biographical Dictionary of 20th Century Philosophers 109 B6155
- Kersey, Ethel Women Philosophers: a Bio-Critical Source Book 109 K41