Search the library catalog for books on the subject of your image.
Hint: do a search in the catalog and add the term "pictorial" to retrieve results that include books with images.
Use online and print periodical indexes to search for journal article citations on the subject of your image. Readers Guide, Proquest and Searchbank are three good places to start. Indexes such as Art Index provide specialized search capabilities.
Hint: look for the abbreviations "illus" or "por" to get citations that include images.
Available in the Room Reference stacks in the Art Department. Search for your subject in books of collected images or indexes to specific images in books or magazines.
Helpful room reference titles:
- The Bettman Portable Archive. Call number: 702 B565
- Illustration Index. Call number: 702 I
- The Encyclopedia of World Art. Call number: 703 E56
- The Picture Dictionary. Call number: 703 P5998
- Graphic Design books. Call number: 741.4
- Signs or Symbols books. Call number: 753
- Picture Research. Call number: 770.7 S386
Clip Art Collection
Located in the Art Department Room Reference stacks. Find published collections of public domain images designed to be reproduced.
Located in the Art Department. Search by subject for clippings of images from magazines and books that may be checked-out.
Hint: Consult the alphabetical picture file index if you are not finding pictures on your subject.
Located at the Art Department Reference Desk. Find agencies and institutions that have image collections. Ask the Librarian for:
- The Visual Resource Directory. Call number: 703 V8345
- The Stock Photo Desk Book. Call number: 770.3 S8645
- Directory of Photographic Collections. Call number: 770.8 C153
- Footage. Call number: 791.02 F6875
Located in the Library’s History Department. Contains historical images. Many images from the photo collection can be found on Tessa.