The Diversity and Inclusion Apprenticeship application is closed.
We have received enough applications for the 2022 program. If you would like to be placed on the 2023 contact list, email us at email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in the Los Angeles Public Library.
12-Week Paid Apprenticeship
The DAIA summer program exposes students who reflect the diversity of our communities to careers in librarianship. Through a summer-long mentored learning experience, apprentices will be introduced to multiple facets of library life, from administration to programming to user services.
This is a paid apprenticeship with an hourly pay of $16.54 that runs for 12 weeks, 15 hours per week, from June 6 to August 26, 2022.
Who May Apply?
Ideal applicants will be enthusiastic about public service; be good listeners; be willing to share ideas and take risks; be flexible and adaptable; be able to work well in a team environment; be computer proficient; and have a strong work ethic.
- Incoming high school seniors or college freshmen, sophomores or juniors
- 18 years of age by June 6, 2022
- Live in Los Angeles County
What Are the Responsibilities of an Apprentice?
- Begin the apprenticeship the week of June 6 and continue through August 26.
- Work one-on-one for 15 hours per week with a librarian mentor, and develop and implement a capstone community project.
- Communicate effectively and check email regularly.
- Be available throughout the day, with no other weekday summer obligations (summer school or weekday job).
- Share goals and interests to develop a successful apprenticeship experience.
- Attend master classes and special events.
- Complete scheduled rotations within Los Angeles Public Library locations.
- Tour neighboring library systems.
- Explore universities offering Master of Library and Information Science programs, and professional library associations.
- Spend dedicated time reflecting and writing about the apprenticeship experience.
- Introduce new ideas to enhance Library services and programs.
How to Apply?
The Diversity and Inclusion Apprenticeship application is closed. We have received enough applications for the 2022 program.
For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.