Live in the City of Los Angeles but don’t have a library card? Good news: L.A. City residents can get immediate access to our digital collections without first having to visit a Los Angeles Public Library location through an e-card.
The e-card gives you immediate, unlimited, and free access to these online resources:
- e-Media: download or stream e-books, audiobooks, movies, documentary films, music, podcasts, newspapers, and magazines.
- Research & Homework: access newspaper archives, genealogy tools, professional magazines, and scholarly journals.
- Online Learning: enroll in an online course, learn a new language, take a practice tests, or access Lynda.com.
Complete the online application below to gain instant access to these resources. You will instantly receive your e-card number by email.
Within 2 weeks you will receive a postcard in the mail asking you to confirm receipt of your e-card number and verify your postal address. You must reply to this postcard by telephone or e-mail to maintain your e-card valid for the 3 year term.
For more information about the library's e-card, read the FAQ.
Is an e-card right for you?
- If you already have a full-access library card, you do not need an e-card.
- A full-access library card can be used to access both our digital and physical collections. It allows you to check out printed books, periodicals, technology items, CDs and DVDs.
- A full-access library card also allows you to reserve and use public computers at library locations.
Please fill out the e-card application completely. The information submitted is only for library use.