Submitting your book for inclusion in the Library's collection
If you would like to suggest that the Library purchase your book for our collection, feel free to fill out our online Suggest A Purchase form. Please indicate on the form that you are the author. If you are suggesting your e-book for purchase please note that your title must be available through the OverDrive platform for the Library to consider.
If you prefer to submit a review copy of your book for consideration the procedure is to send a copy of the book, along with published reviews, to:
Catherine Royalty - Acquisitions
Los Angeles Public Library
630 W. 5th Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
The book and reviews are then considered for inclusion by the appropriate subject specialist. Due to the large number of books we receive we are unable to return the book, give status updates on its progress, or provide feedback on why or why not it was selected. Books that are not selected for the collection may be sold at a Library support group booksale. If the book is selected for inclusion it will appear in the library catalog in about 3 months.
Some factors that our selectors consider:
- Has the book been carefully and thoroughly copyedited (use of a professional editor is recommended)?
- Has the book been bound and covered in such a way that it will hold up to multiple circulations?
- Has the text been appropriately formatted for easy readability?
- For non-fiction titles, are the author's professional and/or educational credentials verifying them as an authority on the topic clearly stated?
- Are non-fiction titles indexed?
- Are proper citations included for any works referenced, and are all photos and/or illustrations used with permission?
- Has the book been professionally reviewed (see the Online Resources page for advice on getting reviews)?
- For children's picture books--is the artwork of a quality consistent with traditionally published books?
- Will the book be of interest to the Library's patrons?
- Special consideration may be given to local authors and titles set in or about Los Angeles.