A library station opened on 253rd Street in 1948 with 2,000 to 4,000 books. By 1950 a branch was requested in the 1950-51-city budget but was not funded. The station closed in 1954 and was replaced by a bookmobile. Residents lobbied for a permanent branch through the years. Funds were obtained in a $750,000 Community Development Block Grant. In September 1996, the Board of Library Commissioners approved the three-year lease of the site in Victory Plaza Mall. The Harbor Gateway branch opened August 7, 1997. An additional 1,800 square feet was added to the branch in March 2001. A new facility at 24000 S. Western opened February 1, 2007.