Print this page

About Harbor City - Harbor Gateway Branch

Harbor City - Harbor Gateway
Branch

A library station opened on 253rd Street in 1948 with 2,000 to 4,000 books.  By 1950 a branch was requested in the 1950-51-city budget but was not funded.  The station closed in 1954 and was replaced by a bookmobile.  Residents lobbied for a permanent branch through the years.  Funds were obtained in a $750,000 Community Development Block Grant.  In September 1996, the Board of Library Commissioners approved the three-year lease of the site in Victory Plaza Mall.  The Harbor Gateway branch opened August 7, 1997.  An additional 1,800 square feet was added to the branch in March 2001.  A new facility at 24000 S. Western opened February 1, 2007.

Phone:
(310) 534-9520
Fax:
(310) 534-9532

Top