Welcome to the Los Angeles Public Library. The Library’s first priority is public service. Everyday, thousands of people visit the Los Angeles Public Library to read, select materials, use electronic resources, attend programs and request information from staff.
The Board of Library Commissioners has established Rules of Conduct so that library users and staff have a clean, pleasant and safe environment. We need your cooperation to reach this goal.
THE FOLLOWING ARE PROHIBITED AT THE LOS ANGELES PUBLIC LIBRARY:
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law.
- Disruptive or unsafe behavior including any conduct that interferes with the use and enjoyment of the library by others or with the functioning of library staff.
- Use of loud, abusive, threatening or insulting language.
- Sexual misconduct such as exposure or threatening touching.
- Activities or behavior that may result in injury or harm to any library patron or staff member.
- Patrons with hygiene or health related conditions, including, but not limited to, body odor and lice, that interfere with the use and enjoyment of the library by other library patrons or with the functioning of library staff.
- Activities or behavior that may result in damage to library property, including making any attempts to damage computer equipment or alter software configurations.
- Eating or drinking, except in areas designated for those purposes.
- Sleeping, smoking and bathing.
- Animals, except for guide and assistance dogs.
- Using bicycles, skates or skateboards on the library premises.
- Petitioning, soliciting or selling merchandise without the express permission of the City Librarian.
- To avoid disturbing other library users, mute the volume of electronic devices and use cell phones in the lobby or outside the library.
The Library is not responsible for children who are left unattended in or on the grounds of the library.
The Library is not responsible for personal items that are lost, stolen or damaged in or on the grounds of the library.
The Los Angeles Public Library reserves the right to restrict the use of its facilities and premises to persons who do not abide by the Library’s Rules of Conduct. Library personnel may ask persons who are exhibiting inappropriate behavior to modify their behavior. Noncompliance with the Library’s Rules of Conduct may result in an individual being required to leave the library premises or in arrest and prosecution.
THE LOS ANGELES MUNICIPAL CODE SECTION 63.93 CITES
ADDITIONAL LIBRARY REGULATIONS.