There is a wealth of information available on searching for grants, writing proposals, establishing nonprofits, and fundraising. The following lists are provided as an introductory guide to some of these resources.
Resources available from any computer with an internet connection
The Foundation Center
”Nation's leading authority on philanthropy, connecting nonprofits and the grantmakers”
- Online and classroom training for grant seekers
- Free “Foundation Finder” database searchable by name and location
- Low-cost short-term access to Foundation Directory Online database which “allows grantseekers to quickly research prospective funders”
- Low-cost Foundation Grants to Individuals Online database to find “foundation and public charity programs that fund students, artists, researchers, and other individual grantseekers”
- “Ask Us” free service for getting questions about foundations answered by their staff
- Statistics about foundations and philanthropy
- For an overview of the website, go to the Site Index
Urban Institute Center on Nonprofits and Philanthropy
“Conducts and disseminates research on the role and impact of nonprofit organizations and philanthropy”
Council on Foundations
“Supports grantmakers in various aspects of foundation management”
NOZA Philanthropy Database
A database of charitable giving organizations (requires free registration)
- Free access to “GuideStar Basic” database searchable by name, keyword, and location (requires free registration)
Sponsors training seminars primarily in the field of government grant applications
- Articles from "The Grantsmanship Center Magazine" are arranged by topic and available online for free.
- Federal Register funding daily announcements (with free registration)
USA.gov For Nonprofits
Government information for grant-seekers as well as nonprofits
- Grants, loans, and other assistance
- Nonprofit management and operations
- Tax information
“Your source to Find and Apply for Federal government grants”
- Search for grants by keyword, category, or agency
- Fill out your application online and track the progress of your application
Federal agencies’ announcements of grants and other funding opportunities
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance
Official source for the many grant programs from the federal government
- Database of all Federal programs available to State and local governments (including the District of Columbia); federally-recognized Indian tribal governments; Territories (and possessions) of the United States; domestic public, quasi-public, and private profit and nonprofit organizations and institutions; specialized groups; and individuals
- Detailed description of types of assistance available and how to file applications
- Guidelines for developing winning grant proposals
- List of top programs and new programs in the catalog
California Attorney General's Office - Registry of Charitable Trusts
All charities must file the Annual Registration Renewal Fee Report, and those with gross revenue or assets of $25,000 or more must file annual Form 990 financial reports with the Attorney General's Registry of Charitable Trusts.
- Charities Search provides descriptive information about the charity as well as financials
- CFR Commercial Fundraiser Financial Database provides financial disclosure of fundraisers
- Resources lead to information for individuals seeking assistance in establishing, operating and managing nonprofits
- Forms, Laws/Regulations are also available
Detailed listing of state grants arranged by topic, with direct links to the sources.
Also included are links to grants from federal and nonprofit sources.
California Community Foundation
“Supports nonprofit organizations and public institutions with funds for health and human services, affordable housing, early childhood education, community arts and culture and other areas of need”
- Find grant programs as well as an online application
Center for Nonprofit Management of Southern California
Sponsors a variety of programs for training and assisting nonprofit organizations
- Resource library subscribes to several databases that are free to use at the Center
- Free online copy of the Grant Seeker’s Handbook
Southern California Grantmakers
See the Member Roster which includes individual philanthropists as well as institutional grantmakers.
Books, Periodicals, and Databases in the Los Angeles Public Library
Resources available at Central Library
Custom Search offers the most guidance to this large database
Annual Register of Grant Support: a Directory of Funding Source 378.303 A615
Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance 330.973 U571
The most comprehensive source to grants from the federal government.
It is also available on the Internet at http://www.cfda.gov/.
Federal Grants Management Handbook 361.973 F2935-2
Loose-leaf service on how to manage grants from federal agencies.
Foundation Directory 061.01 F771
Foundation Grants to Individuals 361.97303 F7695-3
Free Money to Change Your Life 330.97303 F7695-4
Fundraising for Social Change 361.73 K64 2001
Giving USA 361.973 G539
Standard statistical source on philanthropic giving in the U.S.
Government Assistance Almanac 330.973 G721-1
More user-friendly guide to federal grants than the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance.
Grants Register: the Complete Guide to Postgraduate Funding Worldwide 378.3 G764
Grassroots Grants: an Activist's Guide to Proposal Writing 361.73 R658
Guide to U.S. Foundations, their Trustees, Officers, and Donors 361.97303 F7695-4
How to Form a Nonprofit Corporation in California 347.173 M269
Nonprofit Sector Yellow Book 361.97303 N8145
Strategic Planning Workbook for Nonprofit Organizations 658 B279
For more books, search the LAPL Catalog with a SUBJECT BROWSE using the following phrases:
Economic assistance Domestic United States Directories
Endowments United States Directories
Proposal writing for grants
(AIP) Charity Rating Guide & Watchdog Report
Published by the American Institute of Philanthropy. Large public interest charities are graded on the basis of their openness, amount spent on services, and their cost of raising funds. Charities are listed under their area of interest.
Chronicle of Philanthropy, the Newspaper of the NonProfit World
Articles about grant-makers, fund raising, managing nonprofits. Lists of workshops and seminars, deadlines for open grants, directory of services, job openings in the nonprofit area. Visit the website.
Grassroots Fundraising Journal
Articles of interest to small and medium nonprofits on fundraising within the community.
Job openings of all types in the nonprofit sector in Southern California.
Foundation Center Cooperating Libraries in Los Angeles County
Other locations open to the public
Cooperating Collections provide selected Foundation Center publications and other resources for grantseekers. For more information about the Cooperating Collections, visit the Foundation Center website.
Center For Nonprofit Management In Southern California
Nonprofit Resource Library
1000 N. Alameda Street, Suite 250
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Philanthropy Resource Library
1040 Lincoln Avenue, Suite 100
Pasadena, CA 91103
Santa Monica Public Library
601 Santa Monica Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90401
Southern California Library for Social Studies and Research
6120 S. Vermont Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90044
Compiled by Social Science, Philosophy, & Religion Department