Be Informed: Know Your Rights | Los Angeles Public Library

All library facilities will be closed Monday, March 26, for César Chávez Day.

Print this page

Be Informed: Know Your Rights


Información en español

It is the mission of the Los Angeles Public Library to provide free and easy access to information, ideas, books and technology that enrich, educate and empower every individual in our city’s diverse communities.

Libraries are a trusted source for information in every community. Ask your librarian for referrals to resources today. If you need assistance with translation, there are options on the Internet to translate, and a librarian can help.

Many local organizations are holding workshops. There are links below for their contact information. Call them because information on their websites has not been updated to show all of new events. 

This list of resources will be updated as we learn more, so check back frequently for the most current information.

Know Your Rights

Everyone who lives in the United States has rights under the U.S. Constitution, regardless of status. For example, you have the right to remain silent and you may refuse to speak to immigration officers.

Listen to Your Rights

AB 60

Healthcare Rights

Resources for Questions about DACA

Legal Resources

  • Find nonprofit organizations that provide low-cost help
  • List of pro bono legal service providers
  • Search engine to locate legal services near your zip code
  • Online directory of the American Immigration Lawyers Association
  • Online find-a-lawyer tool of the National Immigration Project of the National Lawyers Guild 
  • For educators, from the Immigrant Legal Resource Center

Local Organizations 

2533 West 3rd St.
Los Angeles 90057
(213) 353-1333

2845 W. Seventh St.
Los Angeles, CA 90005
(213) 385-7800

Catholic Charities
1531 James M. Wood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90015
(213) 251-3400

Asian Americans Advancing Justice
1145 Wilshire Blvd., 2do Piso
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 977-7500

Remember, do not take advice about your legal case from a notary public or immigration consultant. Only speak to an immigration lawyer or accredited representative.