Jefferson Branch at 2065 West Jefferson Boulevard, ca. 1920s.
The Jefferson Branch was established between 1912 and 1915 as a deposit station at the Soffel Drug Store. It opened as a sub-branch in November 1915 at 2065 W. Jefferson Blvd. and at its own new building at its present site in November 1923. It closed in October 1983 due to damage by arson and was renamed the Jefferson Branch – Vassie D. Wright Memorial in 1984. It reopened on June 1985 with 1,966 square feet. The library was expanded to 2,980 square feet and made accessible to the disabled in 1994. The branch was again renovated and expanded to 9000 square feet. It reopened to the public on September 21, 2002.
Exterior view of Jefferson Branch of the Los Angeles Public Library, ca. 1940s.