Read Baby Read! is the Los Angeles Public Library’s collaboration with hospitals, health care providers, daycares, and early childhood education centers to provide materials and information on early literacy to expectant parents and those with infants under one year old:
- Every new baby in Los Angeles will receive their own free library card
- New parents will talk, read, write, sing, play with their babies
- New families will come to the library for free information, resources, and programs that support their children’s development and learning
Interested in being a partner?
If your organization is within LA City limits, contact the Youth Services Department at (213) 228-7370.
Our current partners have found the following talking points helpful when distributing the kits:
- It is never too early to start reading to your infant.
- Reading time is bonding time. Your baby will hear and learn the rhythm and tones of your voice.
- Babies who are read to develop a larger vocabulary, thus helping them prepare for success in school.
- Read whatever you want and have fun. Then your baby will enjoy reading too!
- The Los Angeles Public Library welcomes all families with free books, parent resources, programs, and play spaces for young children.