Holds are available for pick up at select libraries. Holds may be picked up by appointment Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Libraries remain closed to the public, but staff are available to answer questions by email or phone.
How It Works
- Place new holds from our online catalog.
- If you had previous holds from before our closure, you should have already been contacted via email to cancel or confirm your interest in picking up those items.
- When you are notified that your holds are available, call to schedule a pickup appointment. Library staff will advise you on what to expect when picking up your materials.
- Please bring a face covering with you. You must use one while picking up your holds.
- Enjoy your items! Loans can be returned at any book drop of our pickup locations.
- Arroyo Seco Regional Library
- Central Library
- Echo Park Branch Library
- Exposition Park
- Junipero Serra Branch Library
- Los Feliz Branch Library
- Mar Vista Branch Library
- Northridge Branch Library
Bookdrops at the pickup locations listed above are open for item returns.
All returned materials will be isolated for three (3) full days before being returned to shelves or reissued, as recommended by health and safety officials. After this short period, items will be checked in, and you will see them removed from your account. Since we are now fine-free, you will not see a late fine.
All due dates on existing checkouts have been extended to September 30. Due dates on new item checkouts will follow standard borrowing schedules–three weeks for books and audiobooks, one week for DVDs and music CDs.
What if my local library is not listed above?
This is the first step of a phased reopening, but the Los Angeles Public Library plans to open additional pickup locations at a later date. As we’re able to safely expand our pickup services, we will announce it on this web page. In the meantime, we have redirected hold materials to nearby Library To Go pickup locations.
What about evening and weekend hours?
This is the first step of a phased reopening, with the possibility of expanding hours at a later date. Please check this page for updates.
I placed a hold before you closed. Can I still get my item(s)?
Yes! Patrons with existing holds will be contacted about picking up their items.
How do I place a new hold?
New holds can be placed starting June 23 using our online catalog.
If I don’t have a mobile phone, how do I alert library staff that I’m at the library?
If you do not have access to a mobile phone, library staff will have your holds out on the table at the designated time and will leave the items on the table for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, staff will return the items to the library for safe-keeping. If you miss your pickup time, please call library staff to arrange another time.
I returned items to the library yesterday. Why are they still on my account?
We are following Department of Public Health guidelines and are setting materials aside for three (3) full days. After that isolation period, items will be checked in and removed from your account. Since we are now fine-free, you will not see a late fine.
I have several items waiting for me, but I don’t want all of them right now. Can I choose what I want to pick up?
Due to space constraints, we cannot store holds and must distribute them to patrons as soon as they become available.
If you’d like to space out your holds, we’d suggest using the Hold Suspension feature to pick up your items in manageable groups. Here are the instructions to do this:
- Log into your My Library Account using your library card number (no dashes or spaces) and PIN, the last four digits of your telephone number.
- Click on your Holds list. You can delay receiving pending hold items by checking the titles and clicking Suspend Until at the top of your list. You will be prompted to enter the date you will be available to receive the items.
How can I update my account information to ensure I receive email/phone notifications?
Log into your My Library Account using your library card number (no dashes or spaces) and PIN, the last four digits of your telephone number. Once you're logged in, select Account Summary and then Contact Information, under Summary. You will be able to update your contact information from there.
Can I defer my holds while I am out of town this summer?
Yes. Log into your My Library Account using your library card number (no dashes or spaces) and PIN, the last four digits of your telephone number. Once logged in, select your Holds list. You can delay receiving pending hold items by checking the titles to delay and clicking Suspend Until. You will be prompted to enter the date you will be available to receive the items.
I have books to donate. Should I bring them with me?
Thank you for considering the Los Angeles Public Library for your donation. Unfortunately, we are not accepting donations due to space limitations.