The Los Angeles Public Library is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Coretta Scott King Book Awards, which are given annually by the American Library Association (ALA) to outstanding African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults that demonstrate an appreciation of African American culture and universal human values.
The Coretta Scott King Book Awards commemorate the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and honors his wife, Mrs. Coretta Scott King, for her courage and determination in working for peace and world brotherhood.
The library will kick off the celebration on Saturday, April 27 at Central Library with a Coretta Scott King storytime on Mrs. King’s birthday.
The celebration throughout 2019 will include:
- Events and programs at branches across the city
- Coretta Scott King 50th Anniversary Reading Challenge
- “Our Voice: Celebrating the Coretta Scott King Illustrator Awards” exhibit of original art from Coretta Scott Award-winning books, November 8, 2019 - January 27, 2020 at Central Library
Track the titles of Coretta Scott King Award-winning books that you read in an online challenge (and use those same titles to help meet your Summer Reading goals).
Read CSK Award Winners
- Award winners: Authors
- Award winners: Illustrators
- Browse ebooks and audiobooks of CSK Award Winners