Have you been toying with the idea of starting your own business? Have you been unsure where to start or what kind of business would be right for you? Do you already have a business and are looking for new ways to reach your customers or simplify your procedures? Explore your options and get started with your new business during National Small Business Week, May 5 - May 11, 2019.
The Small Business Administration (SBA) established National Small Business Week in 1963 as an annual event to honor America’s top entrepreneurs. This year there is an online conference you can attend for free to learn about online marketing and advertising, cash flow, SBA funding programs, how to do business with the federal government, and disaster recovery. If you can’t make the online conference, don’t worry: the Los Angeles Public Library has resources and programming available year-round that can help answer all of these questions.
Small Business Events
Central Library - Meeting Room A
- Business Start-up: Starting Your Own Business in LA - Wednesday, June 05, 2019, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- Marketing 101 - Wednesday, August 07, 2019, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- Business Plans 101 - Wednesday, October 02, 2019, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
- SBA Loans - Alternative & Affordable Loans for Your Small Business - Wednesday, November 06, 2019, 6 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
(for more information about these events, please call the Business & Economics Department at 213-228-7100)
Free Business Counseling
- Central Library offers free business counseling through its relationship with the PACE Business Development Center on the second and fourth Tuesdays of most months. Business counseling can include assistance with permits, business license forms, SBA loans applications, and more. Appointments are held in Central Library in the Business & Economics Department located on Lower Level 1. To confirm that a business counselor will be available and to make an appointment with a business counselor, please call PACE at 213-989-3251 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books to Get You Started