Here in the Literature and Fiction department, we meet a lot of aspiring writers looking for a chance to practice their craft and get a second opinion on their latest work. As the Library does not provide editing or critiquing services, we look for ways to guide these patrons to those individuals more suited to helping them. In a city of actors, it turns out we have our share of writers too! There is a multitude of writers groups that meet on a weekly or monthly basis to improve each other's skills and provide a fresh perspective. The following are lists of both free and fee-based writing groups throughout the Los Angeles area.
Writing Groups in Los Angeles
Find a free, local and in-person writing group
- MeetUp.com Offers several free writing meetup groups throughout the Los Angeles area. Try the following search terms; novel writing, creative writing, writing workshop, writing, writers, fiction writing, script writing. You will need to complete a free registration process to search.
- Independent Writers of Southern California: The IWOSC offers weekly meetups and seminars throughout the greater Los Angeles Area. Check out their calendar to find a meeting near you.
Free writing groups held at local libraries
- Book Writer's Group A monthly group for book writers. Every member is given time to present their writing and receive constructive feedback. Check out their events page for more information.
- Northeast Los Angeles Writers A weekly group offering writing critique and group lectures. Check out their meetup.com page for more information.
Write Away Tuesdays: A support group for writers that meet on a weekly basis. Contact Sandy at 310-450-6258 for more information.
- Greater Los Angeles Writers Society: The Greater Los Angeles Writers Society offers lectures, critiquing services and networking workshops for members. Information on membership requirements and fees can be found on their website.
Free Online Writing Groups
- L.A. Writers Group: The L.A. Writers group provides writing workshops, lectures, coaches and networking opportunities for its paying members. Information regarding membership fees can be found on their website.
- Critique Circle: Another free web community, Critique Circle provides a similar service to Scribophile with the addition of forums and advice on how to sell your completed manuscript.
Membership/Workshop Writing Groups (fee based)
- Scribophile: A free web community, Scribophile allows members to read and offer feedback on each other's work.
- The Scriptwriters Network: Offers multiple seminars per month on various aspects of screenwriting, a class on how to effectively read and analyze a script and tips on how to best choose a writers group. Check out their event listings for more information.