The Los Angeles Public Library's (LAPL) Central Library will have individual Federal and California State tax forms and instructions for the 2012 tax year starting in early February 2013. Paper tax documents will be available to the public on a limited basis at the Business & Economics Department, Central Library, Lower Level 1. Tax forms and instructions can also be requested by:
- IRS (Internal Revenue Service): (800) 829-3676
- California FTB (Franchise Tax Board): (800) 338-0505 (automated service) or (800) 852-5711
Paper tax forms and instructions can be ordered from the IRS and FTB websites for delivery by U.S. mail or for faster results, printed or downloaded from their websites. The IRS and FTB websites are also accessible from any LAPL Information Express terminal, with no reservation required.
- IRS (Internal Revenue Service): http://www.irs.gov/
- California FTB (Franchise Tax Board): http://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/search/index.aspx
E-File is a fast and easy alternative to filing taxes by mail and some filers may be eligible to do it for free. File taxes electronically online by visiting:
- IRS (Internal Revenue Service): http://www.irs.gov/efile/index.html
- California FTB (Franchise Tax Board): http://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/efile/allsoftware.shtml
MyFreeTaxes is free tax preparation software. See this flyer for more information (PDF). If you have a simple tax return with earnings less than $57K and don’t have Internet access, visit any Los Angeles Public Library and file your taxes yourself for FREE on a library computer. You will need a library card. http://www.lapl.org/MyFreeTaxes
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is a refundable federal income tax credit for low to moderate income working individuals and families. To see if you are eligible for EITC, go to the following websites:
- IRS (Internal Revenue Service): http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96406,00.html
Use this link to learn more about the basic qualifications rules. Instructions are available in English & Spanish.
- The Greater Los Angeles EITC Campaign Partnership is accessible at: http://www.greaterlaeitc.org/
Led by the United Way, volunteers provide free income tax preparation assistance to families from throughout Los Angeles County.
VITA CENTERS (VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE)
VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) and TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) provide free tax assistance to people with low to moderate incomes (VITA) and the elderly (TCE).
- There are over 100 centers in Los Angeles and Orange counties. A searchable directory of California VITA and TCE centers is available at www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/vita/ or call (800) 829-1040.
- A VITA locator is on the IRS website at http://irs.treasury.gov/freetaxprep/.
- You can “Find an AARP Tax-Aide site near you” on the AARP website at www.aarp.org/money/taxes/aarp_taxaide/ or by calling (888) 227-7669.
Please see the LAPL Tax Information web link for additional information and resources: http://www.lapl.org/collections-resources/web-resources/tax-information