Parents: Storytimes and Programs
Children’s librarians share books, stories, rhymes and songs with you and your child.
• You will learn about great books and tips to help you get your child ready to learn to read.
• Your child will practice school readiness skills like paying attention and interacting in a group environment.
• Most importantly, both of you will have lots of fun!
Story Telling and Reading (STAR):
Trained STAR volunteers share the joy of books and reading with kids
• Volunteers and kids read great books and stories one-on-one or in small groups.
• Kids who are read aloud to learn to love books. Kids who love books tend to have an easier time learning to read. Kids who read well do better in school.
• For a STAR schedule, check with your local Los Angeles Public Library.
Full STEAM Ahead
• Hands-on workshops that spark kids' interest in science and technology.
More fun and free programs:
• Every Los Angeles Public Library offers regular events and activities for kids of all ages.
• Art workshops, puppet shows, magic shows, even opportunities to read to friendly, book-loving dogs! Find all this and more at your local library.
Every Child Ready to Read workshops (pdf):
• Children’s librarians present research-based methods and tips on helping your young child build important pre-reading skills.
• It’s as easy as talking, reading, writing, singing and playing with your child!
• To request that a workshop be held at your preschool, daycare center, school or organization, please contact your local children’s librarian or call Youth Services at 213-228-7480.
Summer Reading Club:
• Encourages preschoolers, kids and teens to read and have fun at the library all summer long.
• Free activities and events, fun “game boards” and incentives keep kids excited in order to prevent loss of reading skills over the summer.
• The 2014 Summer Reading Club will be offered June 9 to August 2, 2014.
Programs for teens:
• Teens can find great activities at every library; click here or contact your local library for details.
• The Library also offers Student Smart programs, volunteer opportunities, and more.