Professional Exam Prep @ Business & Economics
If you’re preparing to take a professional licensing/certification exam, don’t sweat it -- the Business & Economics Department at the Central Library has you covered. The Department has exam preparation materials covering a wide range of professions such as:
- CAIA (Chartered Alternative Investment Analysts)
- CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management)
- CBA (Certified Business Analyst)
- CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst)
- CFP (Certified Financial Planner)
- CIA (Certified Internal Auditor)
- CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor)
- CPA – Auditing and Attestation
- CPA – Business Environment and Concepts
- CPA – Financial Accounting and Reporting
- CPA – Regulation
- Insurance – Life and Health
- Insurance – Property and Casualty
- PHR / SPHR Professional in Human Resources Certification
- PMP (Project Management Professional) and Agile
- Real Estate Appraiser
- Real Estate Broker
- Real Estate Salesperson
- Series 4 – Registered Options Principal Qualification
- Series 6 – Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Limited Representative
- Series 7 – General Securities Representative
- Series 9 – General Securities Sales Supervisor Qualification/ Option Module
- Series 10 – General Securities Sales Supervisor Qualification/ General Module
- Series 26 – Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Limited Principal Qualification
- Series 63 – Uniform Securities Examination
- Series 65 – Uniform Investment Adviser Law Examination
- Series 66 – Uniform Combined State Law
- Series 99 – Operations Professional Qualification
To find print or e-Book exam preparation guides in the Library’s catalog, first use a simple keyword search with the word exam* or test* with a subject description (i.e. insurance) to get a list of titles. For further refinement, bring up a detailed catalog record and click on a subject hyperlink. For example, to locate Series 6 exam books, use “series 6” exam* in the keyword search, then click on the underlined Subject Heading hyperlink Securities Examinations Study guides to retrieve additional titles. (Catalog hint: to search a phrase, use quotation marks between words and use * as a wildcard character). Some licensing exams, especially for insurance, are not readily available from publishers and may be harder to locate.
Many of our recent exam books are only accessible as Axis360 e-Books. These Axis360 e-Books are available to download from the Library’s website, http://www.lapl.org/collections-resources/e-media. Access is provided by your library card and a personal account which you can create after you log in with your card. You can also search the regular catalog by subject and select the e-Book titles.
Don’t forget that test preparation guides are also available in other Central Library departments depending on the subject and/or profession and through the Library’s website section, Online Learning. The Social Sciences, Philosophy and Religion Department has a large collection of civil service exam guides for positions such as bus operator, account clerk, police dispatcher and administrative assistant. The Science and Technology Department specializes in study materials for the healthcare, computer, and technical professions (i.e. RN, electricians, pharmacology, cosmetology, Certified Ethical Hacker, CCNA, CCENT).
The Library’s Online Learning resource, LearningExpress Library, provides instantly scored licensing, certification, and aptitude practice tests, online career preparation, and vital information for a wide variety of occupations. Practice tests, courses, and e-Books provided online include categories such as: air traffic controller, civil service, commercial driver's license (CDL), cosmetology, culinary arts, electrical, emergency medical services, firefighter, green careers, law enforcement, military, nursing and allied health, legal, plumbing, real estate and teaching.
When you plan your next career move, don’t forget LAPL Business and Economics and lapl.org.