On Monday, December 3, 2012 the media room in the Popular Library re-opened to the public with some new equipment, two new self-checkout machines. The installation of these new machines took place over one week in late November, early December. But even before the new equipment was installed, the Popular Library staff worked for months preparing thousands of items for the new equipment.
These new machines use RFID technology to read information encoded on the media to check them out. If you’ve visited our Silver Lake Branch then you will be familiar with our new system. (What is RFID? Here’s some information: http://www.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/high-tech-gadgets/rfid.htm)
Our new checkout system has been in use for about a month now and we’re pleased with it, although, there have been a few bumps in the road. Getting used to this new system has definitely been learning process, not only for our patrons, but for staff as well.
If you haven’t used the new self-checkout system yet, the process of checking out is easy:
- The machine will ask for you language preference-English or Spanish
- Then it will ask you to scan the barcode on the back of your library card
- You will then be asked to enter your 4-digit PIN (you PIN is the last 4 digits of the phone number you provided the library)
- Once your information has been verified, you can start the checkout process
- Place the items you wish to take on the blue checkout pad
- Once the items turn green on the screen you can begin unlocking your items
- Unlock your materials by placing them in the unlocking machine. When it clicks two times, this means your items are unlocked (skip this step for Audio Books)
- You can now finish the transaction and take your checkout receipt.
We know that not all of you are comfortable using self-checkout machine, but don’t worry, we have staff members to help you through the checkout process. After a few visits we know that you’ll get the hang of it and that you’ll be speeding through the checkout process in no time.
Come by and see the new and improved Popular Library on your next visit to the Central Library! We get new titles every week and have thousands of books, DVDs, CDs, and audio books for you to browse and checkout.