Print this page

A Brief Palisades Branch Library History

Send this page via E-mail

The Palisades Branch opened to the public at its present location on January 28, 1963. The history of library facilities available to the Pacific Palisades community dates back to 1922 when the Pacific Palisades Association, founders of the community, built a spacious building for that purpose in Temescal Canyon north of Sunset Boulevard.

Branch Photo

In 1929, the Los Angeles Public Library established a deposit station on Antioch Street.

Branch Photo

In 1948, the library collection was moved to 868 Swarthmore Avenue where it remained until 1952 when the library opened as a sub-branch at 864½ Via de la Paz.

Photographs from the Los Angeles Public Library Security Pacific National Bank Historic Photograph Collection.

Top